These American Red Cross certified classes are held on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and the following Saturday (unless otherwise noted). Classes take place at the Harbison Recreation Center (106 Hillpine Rd.) The entire course is approximately 30 hours in length. You must attend all class days and times. Register by phone 803-781-2281 or stop by the Recreation Center, 106 Hillpine Road, Columbia, SC 29212.
Cost: $205.00 for residents and $215.00 for non-residents
Location: Harbison Recreation Center – 106 Hillpine Road, Columbia , SC
Age: Must Be 15 years or older to participate
- The schedule allows a 45 min. lunch break each Saturday and two 10 min. breaks Friday and Sunday.
- Times are subject to change, depending on number of participants enrolled.
- There must be a minimum of four participants in order to conduct the class.
- You must attend all class days and times listed above.
For additional information on Lifeguard Training please call Zach Edenfield at (803) 781-2281
This training will be held at Harbison Recreation Center.
Successful course completion requires participation in all classroom and skill sessions, as well as successful performance in skill and knowledge evaluations. Due to the nature of the skill in this course, you will be participating in strenuous activities, such as performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the floor and removing victims from the water. If you have any questions about your ability to participate fully in this course, discuss them with your physician or health-care provider and Harbison recreation before you begin the course. Upon the successful completion of the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training course, you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard Training certificate, which is valid for 2 years. This certificate includes lifeguarding, first aid, CPR/AED for adult, child and infant.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates must swim using the front crawl and breaststroke but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
THESE SKILLS MUST BE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED BEFORE THE END OF THE FIRST CLASS SESSION!!! If you fail to successfully pass the skills test, you will not be allowed to continue in the course.
No refunds will be given due to inability to complete the course or prerequisite skills.
Participants must attend ALL sessions!
-Participant will receive a Lifeguard Training book and pocket mask on the first class session.
-Please bring pen or pencil, paper, swimsuit, towel and water to each class session.
-You will be allowed breaks so, you can bring a snack and drinks or change for the snack and soda machines at the recreation center.
-This course is non-refundable unless a request is received by the Harbison Recreation Center within 7 days prior to the start date of the course.
-Any refunds must be approved by the Aquatics Director. If you have any questions or comments regarding the upcoming course, please contact Zach Edenfield, Aquatics at 803-781-2281.
The schedule allows a 45 min. lunch break each Saturday and two 10 min. breaks Friday and Sunday. Times are subject to change, depending on number of participants enrolled. There must be a minimum of three participants in order to conduct the class.You must attend all class days and times listed above. For additional information on Lifeguard Training please call Zach Edenfield at (803) 781-2281. This training will be held at Harbison Recreation Center